Guidelines for the Size of Your Outdoor Lantern

Hinkley Lighting - Harbor Lights

Outdoor light illuminates and silently leads us on.

I just had a discussion with a lovely friend about the lanterns by her front door. She is replacing them and that is why I am sharing this post  I wrote a few years ago. 

People invariably choose lanterns that are too small for an outdoor site. 

This informative piece is from a great lighting company - HINKLEY LIGHTING (click here).... can help change that.

ALL PHOTOS HERE ARE FROM THE HINKLEY WEBSITE.



The height of an outdoor lantern should be based on the height of the door:



FOR ONE LANTERN: 

If you place a lantern on only one side of the door, it should measure one-third the height of the door. The center of the bulb should rest 66" above the threshold of the door.






FOR TWO LANTERNS: 

When two lanterns are used, they should each measure approximately one-fourth the height of the door. The center of the bulb should rest 66" above the threshold of the door.




•TIP: In either case, if you choose a fixture with a long tail or top scroll, pay attention to the overall bulk of the fixture.




DON'T UNDERSIZE YOUR LANTERNS:  

As a rule of thumb, your lantern should appear to be about half the size of your door from 50' away.




•TIP: When in doubt, always go larger.



BTW, the lanterns on either side of my door are too small. (We installed them 23 years ago) 

Live and learn.......






Comments

  1. I really dislike the new format of your blog that I am seeing with advertising on both side of the content. The large sized photos are one of the main things I read gardening blogs for. I don't see any way of expanding the content to full screen size. Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I qwill change it - I hit 'template' and this is what happened...I should proabblty get someone who knows websites. I am such a novice. will figure it out.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear from you....

Popular Posts of all Time

Angelface Blue and Dark Violet Angelonia - a Flower that Keeps Giving

Planting Design for Dry Gardens by Olivier Filippi

'Purple Smoke' - The best Baptisia

No-Fail Tips for Turning Hydrangeas Blue!

Repurposed and Recycled - Creative Ideas for Garden Design

The Magnificent Purslane - Edible Landscaping at its best!

My one day Class Wednesday April 16 in NY - Jan Johnsen